Sunday, May 20, 2007

Bees and Manzanita Blossoms



A Manzanita becomes a little habitat when it blooms in May. Just walk by one in bloom and you can hear the friendly humming of many a flying creature. Hummingbirds and bees of every variety enjoy it's luscious nectar. They are subtly beautiful, only when you look real close can you truly enjoy the lovliness of the blooms. It's a very short lived joy and is the true beginning of the warm season here.

I've heard a lot lately about how the bees are dying. What a scarey thought. But I'm happy to see we still have lots here on the mountain! I had to get a pix of one of the busy bees. Have you ever tried to photograph one? It's not real easy. I was lucky to get this shot. I've also realized the bees don't mind when I'm going about my own business - gardening, sitting, or even just watching them at work. But when I went to the tops of the bush and tried to get some pictures, well they started to get angry and a couple swarmed me. I had to run to the house for a break! So you can see just how lucky I was to get this photo... and with NO bee stings!

3 comments:

Gerushia's New World said...

You are a brave, brave girl!! You did manage to get a good shot of the bee and the Manzanita blossom. I've heard a lot about bees dying off also. You sure can't tell it by my gardens. I have bees all over my back yard and front yard. I guess that's a good sign.

Kim
Garden Painter Art
gnarly-dolls

Unknown said...

yes you are very brave indeed!
the pink of those flowers are incredible!
Great shot!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that manzantia is beautiful! I'm learning about lots of new plants from you :)