Saturday, December 29, 2007

Mural for Musical



One of the things that I did while in my blogging absence was assist with this mural.

My son's teacher asked me if I would help with the backdrop for the kid's musical/play. I normally would love to do something like this, but I had only wished it wasn't 2 weeks before Christmas! She couldn't have choosen a worse time to have to do a large project like this!

Luckily, the anticipation of it was far worse than the actual doing of it.

I quickly sketched some ideas at home. Got the large butcher paper from the school. Taped together four LARGE pieces of it (that was actually the hardest part since I had no help with it. This part would definitely be a lot easier with at least one adult helper.) Then I drew out the design. The kids came into the art room in groups of 5 and painted it. I supplied their pallettes. By fifth grade they should be over the incredible desire to just mix the colors into a big mess. Well most were, all but one!

We surprisingly got finished with just one session, each group coming to paint for 15 minutes each (27 kids). I quickly did some finishing touches like outlining with black.

It turned out pretty cute, I thought. And it fit in well with their "Brown County Fair" musical, which was based on tall tales of America. Nothing beats children singing and performing at Christmas time!!

No comments: